Monday, September 22, 2014

My 5 year study plan

In light of wanting to go back to school without incurring debt, I've decided to embark upon a five year self-study journey. I am choosing not to specialize, another luxury afforded to the non-student. I will be studying a variety of subjects including things I have not studied before.
These topics include:
  • Math (Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus) 
  • Science (a brief overview of the basics with a focus on Electromagnetism, Biophysics, and Theoretical Physics)
  • Philosophy (Media Studies, the Power of Belief/Prayer, and Religion and Folklore)
  • English (emphasis on Teaching and writing at least 3 books)
  • Art (performance, digital, drawing, multi-media)
  • Music (piano, cello, voice)
  • Business (focused on real-world prototyping and creation of designs, networking, offering goods and services)
  • Languages (casual Duolingo for French and Spanish)



To ensure success I will:

  • dedicate and track a minimum of 30 minutes of every day or 3.5 hours per week to study
  • write comprehensive essays, blog posts, or articles about the topics I've learned
  • connect with mentors in each subject
  • take affordable, IRL classes when needed (as in the case with Math especially)
  • utilize resources like Coursera, Skillshare, internet forums, and the library
  • carefully track what I've studied/learned in each discipline

I thought at first that I should create the entire 5 year study plan up-front, but as a non-expert in these topics, I can't be sure what books will be valuable and what won't or what topics will benefit me and which will bore me to tears. So instead, I decided to take it month-by-month.



No comments:

Post a Comment